As I left my Bikram Yoga class tonight I couldn't help thinking that I just wish everyone I knew could come to class with me to experience the hard work and satisfaction you get mentally as well as physically (whew, definitely physically). Bikram challenges you in ways you never knew were possible. Bikram yoga is 26 poses or postures in a very, very hot room for 90 minutes. Just adjusting to the heat is a workout in itself. But the benefits you receive are incredible, there is nothing out there that I have ever tried that compares. I have never felt dizzy or dead tired while running during training for a marathon (aka running up to 26.2 miles), but I can tell you I push my limits like no other in Bikram. And EVERY SINGLE TIME class is over, I feel like I just crossed a finish line and want to high five myself over and over... yes I said myself. It's a great feeling knowing you have worked hard for your OWN BENEFIT. In wellness, taking care of your body physically is obviously a major component. In Bikram you "work every part of the body, to give all the internal organs, all the veins, all the ligaments, and all the muscles everything they need to maintain optimum health and maximum function. Each component takes care of something different in the body, and yet they all work together synergistically, contributing to the success of every other one, and extending its benefits" (Bikram Choudhury). Pretty powerful stuff huh? Who knew some stretches, holds, and deep breaths could help you from the hairs on your head to your little pinky toes? I, myself, joined as part as physical therapy for my knees (from running all of those miles), but fell in love for benefits other than my knees. My knees are another story for another day though.
Bikram is also a way to ease your mind and learn some focus and concentration skills which can carry over to all areas of your life. It is very important to listen to your teacher's instructions carefully, as well as watch and listen to your own body. Respect your own body. Push yourself, but know your limits. That is what is so great... you can squat or lay down when you're feeling overheated or dizzy, then jump back in when you're ready. Of course there is class etiquette, but that is not the point of this little blog. Respecting your mind and body is wellness and health at it's core. If you don't respect and take care of yourself, you can't take care of others in any other area of life. Whether it is in your job, as a parent, or a friend... your health should come first. I like to use a phrase we teach in the counseling world to describe it: "self care". Take care of yourself, and the everything else will fall into place. Whether it is Bikram Yoga or walking around your block every day... get out there and do something for yourself physically! Get that heart rate up and endorphins flowing :) You'll thank me later. I will save my "eating healthy" blogs for later... and don't think this is the last from me on staying active!
Cheers to your health!
Sarah
I absolutely love Bikram yoga!! :) I'm glad I know another yogi out there who loves it as much as I do.
ReplyDelete