I told you all that I would eventually discuss the importance of healthy eating. This is all an important piece of the puzzle that is wellness in your life. I have been reminded at almost every corner just this week about how important taking care of your body is. I, myself, have been to a few doctor appointments on top of PT (regular check-up's, etc) and have had some loved ones see doctors. Each and every one has said similar things about eating right and listening to your body. I have also heard many times that so often we do not know about damage in our bodies, such as damage to our spine or to our heart, until some thing happens (heart attack, extreme pain in body, etc). Example, we may not know our arteries are building up plaque until it is so late that we have a heart attack or severe chest pain and need immediate care. Why am I telling you all of this? Because EATING right can help prevent these damages to your body, just like exercising can!
Now, I am not saying run out and try any diet. Do you know why diets don't work...? Because they are NOT SUSTAINABLE! Why do you think there are so many out there? None work long-term. The only thing that works long term is lifestyle changes! Just eating the right foods all of the time, not just for a week or month, then going back to eating "crap". Lifestyle change means doing this for the long haul.. and trust me, after a little while it will be the norm for you. Form new, healthy habits! I understand that that is easier to say than do. It definitely takes work to form new habits and eat healthier. Sometimes it means taking a little extra time to plan your grocery list, or make a muffin from scratch with substitute ingredients such as greek yogurt rather than butter. BUT it is worth it in the end. I promise. I will add some great substitutes in the blog, as well as a recipe that I made last night that was healthy and delicious (and chocolate)! Just because you eat healthy, does not mean that you have to sacrifice taste or pleasure in foods.
My first piece of advice for you is to look in your fridge and pantry today and THROW AWAY all the bad foods! You know what I am talking about too... the junk. Get as close to natural as you can. I'm not saying go all Organic (unless you want to then I'm totally on board with that), but try to get away from the processed foods and high fat/high sugary foods. If you love cookies, learn to make them in a healthier way instead of buying Oreos. If you enjoy ice cream, freeze some greek yogurt instead (or buy the new greek frozen yogurt by Ben & Jerry's- yum). Small changes here and there, and you will be well on your way to improving your life. Learn to LOVE your croc pot! Saves time, and probably money if you're used to picking up dinner after work. Oh, that reminds me, I can give ANOTHER great healthy recipe in this article. Lucky you, you can get a breakfast and a dinner recipe that is good for you and oh so yummy!
With the right motivation and concentration, you will do great on your adventure towards becoming a wellness expert. :) Make the decision and get your life on a healthy track! Good luck and always reply to these with questions you may have- or recipes you want to share. I hope you find these links and recipes helpful and delicious. Enjoy!! Remember: if you take care of your body, your body will take care of you!
Here is a link to some great substitutes for health eating! http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/NU00585 (and remember that plain non-fat greek yogurt is an EXCELLENT substitute for so many things in baking and cooking)!
Recipes
Croc Pot Tropical Fiesta Chicken (yep made that up--just like a friend made up the recipe):
Ingredients:
* 3-4 chicken breasts (frozen, thawed, whatever)
* 1 jar of salsa (any kind you like- I like a Publix brand)
* 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
* 1 packet of quesadilla seasoning
* 1/2 yellow onion, cut however you like
* 1 lime
Directions: mix all ingredients in the croc pot (just squirt the lime in), set on low in the morning, enjoy in the evening!
*Throw it on a bed of spinach leaves, with some non-fat plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) with some avocado-- you can thank me later.
Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffins (116 calories per muffin, very low fat).:
Ingredients:
1 3/4 c oats
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (or 1-1/2 Tbsp. vinegar)
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar substitute (like Splenda granular) OR 1/4 cup + 2 tbs stevia
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or use white chocolate or peanut butter chips!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with foil cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a blender, (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. *Note, you could skip this step by putting all of the chips in the batter, and baking the muffins for 12-15 min straight, but this method gives the muffins the traditional
Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. *Note, you could skip this step by putting all of the chips in the batter, and baking the muffins for 12-15 min straight, but this method gives the muffins the traditional
CHEERS!

I love making my Mac n cheese with Greek yogurt! It's creamier, and has a little kick to it.
ReplyDeleteI'm also loving the blog; keep it up, cuz!