Please excuse any typos or inconsistencies as I am under the weather with a severe sinus infection and throat infection. Guess my time was due to get sick, but luckily since I am unemployed I don't have to worry about taking off of work :) And man, it would've been at least 2-3 days off of work. This is probably the worst sinus infection I've ever had.. one in which I actually sought out a dr appointment for. I figured as I lay in my bed (yes, I actually have a bed at my parents house for you skeptics) I could make a post on here about wellness in good times and bad, sickness and health...instead of complaining any more. So here it goes.
As many of us know, the only thing we want to do when feeling sick is lay around and sip on some hot tea or soup. Honestly, that is all I have wanted to do the past 3 days. Rest is a must when very sick, definitely. Your body needs that extra rest to recover and heal itself. But, you also need to stay conscious about the things you are putting in your body, including food and medications. As far as medications go, if you are unsure of what to take or how much to take of something, consult your local pharmacist or physician. Sometimes when you have a cold or sinus infection there is not much you can but let it run its course since it is a virus. When you have a bacterial infection, like my case, you most likely will need antibiotics to help kick those germs out of your system and get you back on your feet. Occasionally they might give you a steroid on top of that. But medications are not always your solution either. There are multiple methods to help with your sickness that you might take to better than medicine. For example, seeing your local chiropractor and/or wellness expert can do spinal adjustments to aid in recovery processes, or natural supplements to help your body get that boost it needs to fight the infection. Another powerful source to fight is in your local grocery stores: FOOD!
Just because we are sick, does not mean that we have a hall pass to eat whatever we want (or not eat in some instances). For example, instead of going for those sugary popsicles when you have a sore throat, try having some greek yogurt (refrigerated or frozen), or even ice cubes. Eating foods rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins, antioxidants, and other nutrients can also kick start your immune system to help fight those symptoms. Some examples are: broccoli (steamed or raw) for a sinus infection, vitamin C for colds etc, turkey (lean protein and amino acids) to build immune system, tea (without sugar) to prevent further sickness, garlic (raw) for immune boosting compounds is great, almonds for it's magnesium, vegetable juice (without sugar-- make your own!), baked sweet potatoes to boost beta-carotene, and your daily supplements or vitamins you take! It is essential though that you try to eat throughout your day though, even when those taste buds or appetite seem to be gone. Not eating can prolong your sickness, which is definitely not what anyone wants!
Many of these foods are easy to eat when sick and shouldn't be too heavy when you might be feeling queasy. Maybe next time you are reaching for the good ole' chicken noodle soup, you'll grab a sweet potato instead or have some streamed broccoli (and add some garlic). These will not only keep your hunger at bay and the energy you need to fight the sickness, but you will also be fighting the sickness with natural supplements. You might think from reading this that I might not have taken some of my own advice, because I am actually taking medication, but I am taking an antibiotic and steroid to help the bacterial portion of my sickness (FYI). Howeverrrrr....I am also seeking these super food remedies, as well as seeing my chiropractor, AND getting plentyyyyy of rest! I am already on the mend. I don't want to say medicine is the best choice for you, or the worst choice, because that is for you to decide. But for wellness' sake, the better you can build your immune system DAILY with these SuperFoods, the better your immune system will probably be in general. Of course, exercise goes hand-in-hand with this also. Those endorphins and neurotransmitters released during exercise help keep your mind AND BODY healthy.
So, lesson today is, wellness is the key to living your life through the good and bad.. sickness and health! Start your wellness track NOW and get onto living a much healthier and happier life with less sickness and less doctor appointments. I encourage you to research and seek out remedies or treatment options that suit your needs best. Be careful with flu season around the corner.. if you are a child (or have a child) or an elderly person, you might want to look into getting a vaccination. Now, get to your local supermarket!!
To your health & wellness,
Sarah!
Please see Melanie's 7 Superfoods to Live Longer below! Great stuff!
(http://www. jesrestaurantequipment.com/ jesrestaurantequipmentblog/ eat-these-7-superfoods-and- live-longer/).
To your health & wellness,
Sarah!
Please see Melanie's 7 Superfoods to Live Longer below! Great stuff!
(http://www.

Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI just finished creating an infographic that I think is a good fit for your readers on Health, Wellness and Unemployment Woes.
It's called "7 Superfoods That Help You Live Longer." You can see it here(http://www.jesrestaurantequipment.com/jesrestaurantequipmentblog/eat-these-7-superfoods-and-live-longer/).
I wanted to get in touch because while researching, I read this post you wrote about Superfoods, SuperFoods for Sickness!, so I wanted to get in touch to see if you'd like to use my infographic, too.
I put HTML code that you can copy and paste below the image to make it easy to put on your site. If you'd like a different size, please let me know and I'll make it for you.
Thank you!
~ Melanie
Awesome! Thank-you, Melanie. It looks great. I will attach that website to this blog when I update it to direct people there.
Delete~ Sarah