Happy Friday Everyone!
I am enjoying this beautiful weather we are having today in the south by sitting on my back deck typing this post! I would like to say that I had a good week so far, and hope that you have too! I finished ('graduated') my physical therapy for my IT Band (YAYYYY), received my verification letter than I am officially at Certified Consultant for AASP, CC-AASP* (been waiting soooo long for that), got very good feedback about an interview I had last week for a job that I would love, and I am finally starting my Wellspring Journey Weight Loss Groups* here in my city! I am hoping this momentum continues and hopefully soon I'll be on my own couch instead of my parents :) This week was a good reminder that no matter how bad things might seem, there can be good days/weeks. Patience is a virtue.
I was reminded quickly of just how important my job as a sport psychology consultant can be for others, as well as myself, this week as I was discussing with a friend how I am a little scared/nervous to get back out there and race or run long distances again. I am indeed nervous that I will injure myself again, or not train properly again, or honestly not be as fast as I once was! As a CC-AASP, I help other athletes, and even non-athletes, who have sustained an injury get back on the field and train again (or back to their jobs, etc). This may seem like an easy job, especially for those athletes who are professional or trying to be professional and are antsy to play again. BUT, you'd be surprised at how many are in the same boat as I am, and very nervous that this will happen again or that they won't play up to par as they did before. As my wise friend told me this week though - you never know if you don't try! Get back on that horse and ride!!
Now, as a CC-AASP I could look at myself and say that there is definitely a confidence issue happening, as well as self-doubt and negative self-talk. All of these are an easy fix, luckily. And as for the nerves of re-injuring myself, I can tell myself "hey, you know all of the exercises and stretches that you did in PT, and you can create a good running/training schedule". More importantly though: I have to BELIEVE in it all. If I don't believe in myself, then I am going nowhere in a hurry! Self-efficacy is my own belief in being able to perform any activity. If I don't have that, then what is the point in trying? Sure, it will take time and extra effort, but I need to remember that it will be worth it in the end. Aren't most things anyway?
Just like my unemployment woes, financial woes, and stress woes at the moment, my running woes will get better, and eventually not be a woe at all. I encourage you to go for something that you have put off for a long time for any reason. Especially if it is getting back into shape or becoming a healthier you! Slow & steady. Get back on your horse and ride! Believe in yourself. Stay positive. YOU CAN DO IT. Like I have said a hundred times before, mental health is KEY in wellness in your life. Believing in yourself and talking positively to yourself (instead of down to yourself) will improve your mental wellness so much. Get rid of the "can't's"& won't's" in your life, because YOU CAN and if your try then YOU WILL!
So- since it is so lovely outside today, I think I will take some of my own advice and get a small, slow, run/jog in as well as some strengthening exercises. I encourage you to too! Before there is snow on the ground and less light in the evening time, get outside and be active!
Have a happy and healthy weekend- and as always, feel free to write me and ask any questions or tell me of your successes!
Sarah
www.appliedsportpsych.org
http://www.wellspringjourney.com
http://www.facebook.com/WellspringJourneyWeightLossGroupMobileAl

No comments:
Post a Comment