Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Years 2013!!!

Happy New Years!!

As part of my New Years Resolution(s), I am going to try to keep up with this blog more diligently. It is been 2 months since my last post (Halloween), and for that I apologize. For any of you that do read this blog, I hope that you'll continue to.... And, of course we will be discussing YOUR news years resolutions today also!

First up: Life updates! I have FINALLY been offered (and accepted) a new job! It is one within my field of Sport Psychology and I couldn't be happier. This ALSO means that I am no longer living with my parents but moving to another city and state completely! 2012 definitely had it's ups and down with new life being born and losing dear friends at the same time, but it ended with a bang, and I am so grateful for everything & everyone that I currently have in my life. I wish that all of you had good years as well where you learned about yourself, life, and loved as much as possible. 

Now, onto those resolutions. I think that they can be WONDERFUL things to make- IF, and only if, they are made with S.M.A.R.T. GOALS mentality! What does S.M.A.R.T stand for, you ask? Glad to share:

S: Specific
M: Measurable
A: Attainable
R: Realistic
T: Time-bound

Try to remember when setting that resolution for this year that you meet all of the components of SMART GOALS! Because, essentially, a resolution is really a long-term goal that you are setting for yourself. (Go ahead and make smaller short-term goals also to help you reach that long-term goal). Let's look at an example:

New Years Resolution Example: Lose 20 pounds this year.  Here is how to make it "smart" and make smaller/short-term goals along the way:

Is it specific? - Yes & no: You said you wanted to lose 20 lbs this year, which is a specific #, but HOW will you lose it is an even more important question? (GET AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE). This allows you to make those smaller goals to help you along the way. 

Is it measurable?- Yes. You can measure weight loss in multiple ways. The # on the scale, body measurements, how your clothes fit, and how you feel!

Is it attainable?- YES. If you have 20# to lose, then I think doing it in 1 year is attainable and healthy. 

Is it realistic?- Yes. Like I said, if you have 20# to lose, then it is realistic to work towards. 

Is it time-bound?- Yes. To lose 20# in "one year" gives you that time table. 

SO, GREAT! You created a SMART GOAL RESOLUTION! Short-term goals to help you along the way could be things such as "I will eat less than 20g of fat and watch my calories everyday", and "I will start a workout routine/running routine/join a club team/ etc". Keep up with your progress and reward yourself for all of your hard work! 

Lastly...to avoid "forgetting" those resolutions, or "losing the steam" to keep going: POST your resolutions/goals in obvious places such as your fridge, a mirror, or the background of your phone to remind you and motivate you every day! One of my favorite motivators for weight loss is to post a pic of yourself now, then take pics of you every time you lose weight and place next to the original, so you can see your progress and know where you don't want to go back to!! There are clearly more resolutions other than "weight loss" out there, but the same aspects apply as for as adherence and motivation! Let me know your resolutions and how I can help!

I believe in you! This is YOUR YEAR! Make something great out of it!

Cheers to your happiness and health! 

Sarah

Dedicated to Alecia Marie & Justin (J-Nasty). RIP to 2 beautiful souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment