Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Work-Life-Balance

Evening readers! Hope 2013 has treated you all well so far... I am definitely trying to settle into my new town and new job, but loving it so far! As I reflect on the move and new beginnings for myself, I cannot help but think that so much in life is about BALANCE. This is a good time to start learning and practicing for this new year and new YOU!

What exactly is balance? 

Balance by definition means: (v): an even distribution of weight enabling someone to remain upright and steady.  (n): keep or put something in a steady position so it does not fall. 

Let's apply this word to our own wellness. We all have so many things "on our plate", as my mom would say, every day of the week, ever week of the month, and every month of the year. I am sure some of you even get a little bit overwhelmed and/or upset by just hearing that statement! But, how do we juggle everything and still maintain a healthier life? How do we keep an even distribution of everything and stay upright or in a steady position?? Application of this can vary for each and every one of you, depending on exactly what you have to balance in your life. Some of you may be students, some parents, some spouses, and more. A more balanced life can help take stress and unnecessary 'responsibilities' off of our shoulders, creating a more tranquil and POSITIVE us!

Everyday we try to balance our job along with our families, our finances, our hobbies, and so on. So, what is the first step? The first thing I would do is take a step back and take a good, long look at everything going on in your life. Some call this taking a "helicopter" viewpoint, or in other words: looking down at your life. Some of you, like me, might even write down everything you can think of that you have going on. Once you can look at everything you can start prioritizing and mapping out how to give appropriate attention to each thing. 

You should already start feeling more balanced by now.

Next: make a POA (plan of action)! Prioritize things but also have a plan of what to do to try to prevent becoming "off balance" again in the future. Learn to recognize the signs early so that it doesn't overwhelm you again. For me, I notice that my life is off-balance when my mood changes. For example, I am only half-way moved (living out of a suit case) for a month in my new town while also starting my new job and I quickly realized that if I kept putting a lot of my energy into the "stress" of not being unpacked and organized, then I couldn't focus on other more important things such as learning at work or meeting new friends. I firmly believe that if I put all of my energy into one aspect of my current life, such as moving, then I don't leave myself much energy or time to focus on other parts of my life that are equally as important! i.e., I'M OFF BALANCE. So I make a POA of how to de-stress, re-focus, and balance myself out. Many of this includes STAYING POSITIVE as often as possible! You can't have a balanced life with negativity... you just can't. It throws you off before you can even recognize it! 

Feeling better?

We can all learn how to balance our lives. It may take practice, but we can do it. My favorite phrase to repeat to myself (self-talk) is "CONTROL THE CONTROLLABLE" which means to let go of things throwing me off-balance that are OUT of my control (bills, gas prices, injury, etc). By focusing on things that are out of my control (and trying to control them) can completely throw me off and turn me into a bear to be around!


So when you are re-evaluating your New Years Resolution (or making them for the first time this year), try to add one like this! A better you mentally = a better you ALL OVER. 

Hope you all try this out this year and have a happier, healthier, and MORE BALANCED life!!





|| SARAH ||

No comments:

Post a Comment